Sunday, January 1, 2012

what sparkles


My dear friend Lisa challenged me to post something today, since I haven't done anything here in a while. She gave me a prompt of "what is sparkling in your life this week?"

Well, there's been a lot of sparkling going on, since it IS the holiday season, but I decided on this: the giant wedge of cheese that they "drop" on New Year's Eve in my husband's little Wisconsin hometown.

Our family tradition, when we are in Wisconsin for the holidays every other year, is to go downtown at quarter to midnight on New Year's Eve and watch the cheese get lowered from the tall ladder of the town firetruck. Families gather beneath the lit-up "cheese" wedge with their mittens and hot chocolate and count down from 10 as the cheese, dangling on a cable, gets brought down. Lights flash and sirens blare as the crowd cheers when the cheese reaches the ground.

It's a short drop, but it's a lot of fun and everyone loves sending up "that ball drop they do in New York." Each year we've gone (and we were there for the first one), it's drawn more of a crowd and they've gotten more efficient with the hoisting and lowering.

While the cheese itself was festooned with lights, what really sparkled for me last night was the glow of the happy crowd, the smiles of my girls (giggling even though they are teenagers and so over it), and the warmth of a family tradition renewed.

1 comment: