Wednesday, December 1, 2010

one word (#reverb10)

The prompt for today:

Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word. Now, imagine it’s one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

One word for 2010, one word I am hoping will define 2011. Hmm. Well. After mulling it over all morning, I was still struggling for one word to define this year. It's a tough one, boiling the year down to its essence.

For 2010 I came up with: respond. That word sums up a lot about what 2010 was about for me. When my boss-lady, senior marketing coordinator Brooke, resigned in January to become a personal trainer, I responded to the call to fill in for her. I worked many more hours than I was accustomed to working, and produced several quality proposals and shortlist interview presentation materials. I arranged my schedule to be at work whenever needed for deadlines, interviews with prospective coordinators, meetings, whatever needed my response. It took a good 6 months to hire someone, and even since then, I have continued to respond to the need to train the new person and help produce proposals for the rest of the year. It made me feel important and needed, and I certainly like to be important and needed!

At the same time, I had another event to respond to this year: my 30th high school reunion in June. I made the reservation in January, and I wanted to show up to that event looking and feeling powerful, like someone who is living the life they want to live and living it well. I volunteered to produce the slide show for the big party, and collected photos from folks I hadn't seen in 30 years. I organized and retouched all the photos and created a slick looking show. My new trainer Brooke came up with a diet and exercise plan for me, and while I didn't follow the plan exactly, I did shape up enough to feel pretty good walking into a room full of former popular high schoolers in a sleeveless dress and think, "I am not too shabby!" 

In general, my life is about responding these days.  I respond to the needs of my family; people ask me to do things and I respond. I am pleased with that and I like that people can count on me. But it feels like there should be something more.

And so I name the word for 2011: awaken. I would like to finally awaken some dormant parts of me this year: the creative writer, the musician and singer, the artist, the woman who knows what she wants and how to get it. The woman who responds to others but also can expect others to respond to her. I want to awaken the part of me that is slumbering or coasting through life being "busy." I think I have enough confidence built up on the strength of this year to try to awaken her (me).

No comments:

Post a Comment