Saturday, December 4, 2010

wonder (#reverb10)

reverb10 prompt: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year?

Cultivate a sense of wonder...I didn't do this enough. I raced through the year being busy and getting stuff done. I am surrounded by cynical and sarcastic teenagers. Far from being cultivated, my sense of wonder is a sad little dried out flower. But yesterday I drove up north to visit my good friend's new baby...and bam! there's my sense of wonder right there. I held week-old Josie on my lap and she looked up at me and made little faces and dimples and grabbed my fingers and seemed to look right at me. I know they can only focus inches in front of their faces at this age, but I could swear she was looking right at me and thinking something very profound.

She seemed so calm and wise, so alert, for a little creature who just arrived last week. And so tiny and perfect, that it brought me straight back to the times when I held my own babies for the first time. I felt so filled with awe and wonder and joy at the miracle of this tiny little girl who will grow up to be a smart, beautiful woman and live a full life.

I will definitely keep that feeling in mind as I try to cultivate my shriveled sense of wonder back into bloom through the holidays and into 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment