Thursday, December 2, 2010

writing...or not writing (#reverb10)


Reverb10 Prompt: Writing. What do you do each day that doesn't contribute to your writing -- and can you eliminate it?

Wow. What DON'T I do that doesn't contribute to my writing. It's kind of a theme of my sporadic blog writing and my 750 words writing, when I get around to them, that I whine about how I have left my planned writing until the last minute so I don't have much time, and then all I can do is sit there and stare at a blank screen without being able to think of what to write about.

I'm a working mom, so obviously I am "busy" and have lots of "stuff to do," but I don't put my writing (or other things that are important to me) first. I get distracted...(oh, look, a leaf!), I tackle little projects that need to get done but not right then, I get asked to do something and never make it back to my blank screen...and my writing falls away as an optional, expendable activity.

And then there's the surfing (do the kids today still call it that?). Looking for inspiration, I read other people's writing, flitting from one link to the next, rather than creating my own writing.

Can I eliminate these obstacles? I am working on that. I think I can. I am hoping that using these reverb10 prompts and actually commenting on other people's writing rather than just lurking will give me a sense of community to contribute to, and a sense of obligation to live up to what I have said I will do. That will be a good start.

No comments:

Post a Comment